Thursday, September 13, 2012

I suck, I know.

I'm a terrible blogger. The first step is to admit you have a problem. The second step, for me I guess, is to write a stinkin' blog once in a while.

Well, dear friends, my newest novel, Taking Heart, has been out for nearly a month but I just realized that I haven't even debuted it here yet! What neglect!

So here it is, in all it's glory...



Seven weeks have passed since bakery-owner Ren lost her boyfriend to a skiing accident and his organs were sent all over the country for donation. Now she must fly to Denver to empty his apartment and find a way to finally say goodbye.

Minor celebrity Eric Sorenson is looking for something, but he's not sure what. Ever since his heart surgery he's felt incomplete, so he's been scouring the country in search of that elusive element.

The two meet on the plane to Colorado, but what Ren finds in the enigmatic Eric takes her by surprise and she begins to wonder: is it possible for a donated heart to make its way back to its beloved?


The cover changed a smidge (okay, it changed completely!), but I had received feedback that the airplane/mountains combo made it look like a children's book. Yikes, I definitely did not want that!

The novel is receiving some positive comments, which thrills me to no end. I always ask: did it make you cry? Not because I'm a sadist (well, maybe a little), but I just love knowing that my words can move someone to tears. MJ said it was a god complex, and it might very well be, but isn't that what writing is all about? Creating situations that will evoke a certain emotion from the reader?

So onto The Forsaken news! Well, I have no news. I'm working on the first round of edits right now, and I'm doing it differently this time. With The Origin, I wrote most of the story by hand then edited it as I typed it into the computer. That method takes A. Long. Time. So this time, I made the first draft into an epub then I'm reading it on my iPad and taking notes in a notebook. It's not a perfect system, but it helps me get the feel of how the book will appear on someone's ereader.

In other novel news, I've received several requests for a sequel to Taking Heart. It seems some people are just not ready to say goodbye to Ren and Eric yet. (little squee from me!) So I'm writing a short novella about their engagement/wedding. Y'all... I wrote Eric's vows first and it made me tear up. I hope it does the same for you.

I'm so serious about this novella that I actually went ahead and designed the cover already. It might still change but here is what I have so far:


Cute, right? Now I just have to finish writing the darn thing.

Well that's all the writerly news I have for you today. Sometime soon I'd like to discuss songs that pair perfectly with a scene from a book, particularly my own. But I'll save that for another blog post. Maybe I will manage two posts this month. Stranger things have happened.

For now, I bid you goodnight!

xoxo


6 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Love the cover and you already know I cried. Sam laughed at me when I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Beth! Did you smack Sam upside the head when he laughed? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Wilette! I found your book over on Joel Friedlander's Book Awards blog today. He loved your cover, and do so I. Would you be willing to go into some detail on how you created it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I get for hurrying. I meant to say Joel's book cover design awards. At any rate, your cover for Taking Heart really shines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bridget! Thank you for finding me! I'd love to talk go into detail about the cover... what would you like to know?

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete